Travel + Leisure’s #1 Hotel in the World for two consecutive years is a remote paradise of wild horses, rolling hills and perfect waves. They call it "the edge of wildness," but don’t worry, it has lashings of luxury: private pools, butlers, and views for days.
Nihi Sumba has long been legendary as a surfing utopia. Now it’s much more.
Start with an idyllic private beach with crystal clear water, spectacular jungle backdrop and pristine sands. Add villas, built by hand from natural materials, perfectly matched to the lush papaya and palm trees that surround them. Sprinkle stylish touches by resort owner Chris Burch, co-founder of Tory Burch.
Spend your day lounging by an infinity pool, or beneath swaying palms. Take an invigorating trek to NihiOka Spa, where expert treatments come with gentle Indian Ocean breezes. Catch the world’s most coveted private wave. At dusk, the sight of horses galloping down the beach will make you wonder if you’re dreaming.
Sumba, close to Bali, is the most extraordinary of Indonesia’s islands. You’ll see much of why at Praijing Village, near Nihi. This traditional tribal settlement encapsulates the old Sumba way of life. Out of all tribal settlements on the island, this is the most beautiful. Its village stones and uma mbatangu (traditional peaked-roof houses) are perfectly preserved, thanks to government incentives and money from tourist visits—which hardly take away from the charm: people still live here. Old ladies work on their looms; villagers weave and mill; kids come up for high-fives; kittens and piglets roam freely. The animal horns and skulls hanging in front of all the huts may feel a touch grim, but that’s rich local tradition.
Travel with Impact
The Sumba Crisis Relief Fund was created to support the Sumbanese people and help ease the economic impacts from the disruption in tourism due to Covid-19. Porter & Sail is proud to support the amazing work of Sumba Foundation and Nihi Sumba to help those in their communities in Sumba who are most affected by the crisis. Read more.
The Fine Print
* Expires: 12/31/2022.
* Credit available for new, direct bookings only.
* Credit can be used for the best available rate when booking directly with the property.
* Credit can be applied to reservation total, excluding alcohol drinks and Nihi boutique purchases.
* Credit cannot be applied to bookings during the following blackout dates: July 14-Aug 31 2020, and July 14-Aug 31 2021.
* Non-refundable but transferable to whomever you’d like.
* Credit has no cash redemption value and cannot be exchanged for cash.
* The full balance of credit must be used when redeemed; residual balances are not applicable for rollover.
* Porter & Sail will provide a full refund in the event of hotel closure.